Startup Monterey Bay supports entrepreneurs, innovators and the startup community in Monterey, San Benito, and Santa Cruz counties by providing information about local resources, training, workshops, events, competitions, and opportunities to connect and network. This is a great region to live and work and we want to enable local entrepreneurs, innovators and startups to be able to succeed in this region.
Startup Monterey Bay is an institute of the College of Business at CSU Monterey Bay’s Institute for Innovation and Economic Development.
Meet Our Team
- Aya Cabero, Design Intern
- Celina Harris, Assistant to the Executive Director
- Jeannie Davis, Web Manager Intern
- Kathybelle Barlow, Management and Research Intern
- Kenneth Olsen, Marketing Intern
- Linda Tseng, Events and Research Intern
- Marta Gubonova, Instructional Design Intern
- Nina Cornelius, Events Intern
- Pernille Dahl, Project Manager and Website Developer
- Anjika Grinager, Graphic Design and Web Management
Brad Barbeau, PhD., Executive Director
Brad Barbeau, Ph.D., is Associate Professor of Entrepreneurship at the CSU Monterey Bay College of Business and Executive Director of the CSUMB Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development (iiED). As a faculty member, he teaches courses in entrepreneurship and new venture formation and finance, and is faculty lead for the entrepreneurship concentration for the College of Business. As Executive Director for the iiED, he devotes his efforts to building the entrepreneurial ecosystem and developing and accelerating entrepreneurial ventures in the Monterey Bay region.
Dr. Barbeau holds an undergraduate degree in economics and history from Michigan State University, and holds an MBA, M.A. in economics and Ph.D. in business administration from the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business. He has published articles on business model development and is currently working on projects on the process of new business formation, entrepreneurial strategy development, and marketing theory and practice in the internet age.
Brad works with startup companies both in operating capacities and as an outside advisor. He is currently on the board of California Coastal Rural Development Corporation, a lender to agriculture and
Dan Ripke, Director, Economic Development, Funding and Grants
Over the past 30 years, Dan Ripke has designed and implemented innovative projects, programs, and services designed to improve the economies of California communities. These include events, economic development research, technical assistance and policy presentations to support the creation and expansion of small businesses. Dan was the director of an EDA regional University Center program for 30 years and the director of a regional small business development center network (Northeastern California) for 14 years serving 23 of California’s 58 counties. He has secured over $50 million in grant funding for economic development.
Mary Jo Zenk, MBA, Program Manager
As Program Manager of the Institute for Innovation & Economic Development (iiED) at CSUMB, she coordinates workshops, speaker series, competitions, and conferences that foster innovation, entrepreneurship and economic development on campus and in the local region. She also teaches graduate and undergraduate level courses in public and non-profit finance and management and consults in the areas of government budgeting and community, housing and economic development programs.
Advisory Council and Committee
Name, Degree, Job Title
- Bob Margevicius – Executive VP, Specialized Bicycle Components
- Brad van Dam, CEO, Marich Chocolates
- Brooks McChesney – Retired CEO and Investor
- Brigid McGrath-Massie – Author and Professional speaker
- Carmen Herrera – Director, El Pajaro Community Development Corporation
- Craig Vachon – CEO, Chowdahead
- Daniella Russo, CEO, Think Beyond Plastic
- Dennis Donohue – Director, Western Growers Center for Innovation & Technology
- Doug Erickson – CEO, Santa Cruz Works
- Doug Yount, Project Director, Marina Community Partners, Inc.
- Harvey Dadwal – Owner and CEO, Marriott Springhill Suites at the Dunes
- Ian Oglesby – Mayor, City of Seaside
- Ignacio Velasquez, Mayor, City of Hollister
- Jennifer D’Acquisto – SVP, Bank of America
- Joel Gambord – CEO, Joel Gambord Investments
- John Dicconson – CEO, Tech Care Now
- Kelly Crampton, SVP, Indus Corporation
- Paul Powers, Partner, Paul Power Associates
- Ray Corpuz, City Manager, City of Salinas
- Rene Mendez – City Manager, City of Gonzales
- Rock Clapper, CEO, NGB Markets
- Sara Isenberg – Founder, Editor-in-Chief and Publisher, Santa Cruz Tech Beat
- Scott Komar – SVP, Driscoll’s Berries
- Shyam Kamath – Founding Dean, College of Business at Cal State Monterey Bay
Associated Professors and Researchers
- Dante DiGregorio PhD, College of Business
- Jennifer Kuan, PhD, College of Business
- Miguel Lara, PhD, School of Computing and Design
- Angie Nariswari PhD, College of Business
- Joel Ryman, PhD, College of Business
- Heiko Wieland, PhD, College of Business
Name, Degree Pursuing, Job Title